Saturday, February 21, 2015

A Line I'd Forgotten from Because of Winn-Dixie

I'm watching Because of Winn-Dixie for family movie night because my youngest daughter just finished the book by the same title (by the wonderful Kate DiCamillo!).

I find myself overcome with emotion when a sweet, nearly blind neighbor, Gloria Dump, tells the lonely little girl, Opal, that she can't see well. She says:

"You know, my eyes ain't too good at all. I can't see nothing but the general shape of things, so I got to rely on my heart. Why don't you go on and tell me everything about yourself, so as I can see you with my heart."

Why don't you go on and tell me everything about yourself, so as I can see you with my heart? 

I remember again to see people with my heart and not just my eyes. When you hear the whole story, you stop judging people so much. When you hear the whole story, you see with your heart, and you find that you love that person that you were so critical and misunderstanding of just a day before.

I want to look at the whole world with my heart, just like Gloria Dump.  


No comments: