Sunday, June 19, 2011

How Shall I Acclimate?

Did you know that in high altitudes you have less oxygen?  I'm currently staying at an altitude of 5,000 feet, and later today, I'll be hiking at 12,000 feet.  Some folks experience altitude sickness at altitudes of just 2,000 feet.  You can feel really sick because of decreased oxygen, pressure, and humidity in the atmosphere.  Nausea, dizziness, headaches, and malaise are common symptoms.

We're told to focus all week on acclimating.  We double our water intake.  We moisturize.  We rest.  We have to let the body acclimate

But I'm not good at adapting!  I'm not good at acclimating.  I want everything to adapt to me, to acclimate to my purposes.  Why do I have to be the one to change?   Then I realize this:  People who live with flair know how to adapt to the new situations God brings about.  They remove themselves from the center of their own worlds and submit to that reality.  They submit with joy, enthusiasm, and hope.  They focus on acclimating and more forward. 

That's what my husband is so good at as a father and as a spouse.  He's the kind of man who welcomes and submits to what God wants to bring about.  That's what I want to learn how to do this summer in Colorado.  When the new challenging situation comes, I don't want to resist.  Instead, I'll ask the question, "How shall I acclimate?" 


____________________
Journal:  What new reality requires me to submit and acclimate?

2 comments:

Douglas Dahl said...

Wow. You captured it exactly. Adapt to me and all acclimate to you. I feel that way often.

Best way to acclimate is to look to find ways to fill in that niche or do that job no one else will be it at church, work, or neighborhood...

Reena said...

Nice post today ... especially with comparison with hiking.