Sunday, June 5, 2011

My New Favorite Verb

My old favorite verb was grapple.  But I found a new one!

This week, I let the girls try cream soda for the first time.  Someone brought bottles of the stuff to a cookout, and we were left with several.

I love cream soda.  We are so eager to drink it that when we pour it out, it fizzes so much that we have cream soda all over the counter top.  We pour more, and I try the stick-your-finger-in-the-glass trick.  It works!  I'm not sure why, but it works. 

Later, I pour too much cream soda again.  It fizzes faster than we can sip it.  That volcanic eruption of carbonation all over the kitchen tells me to pour small amounts and wait

I slow down and watch the process.  Even a tiny amount will effervesce.  I think about this verb.  It means to give off bubbles or to be exceptionally vivacious and enthusiastic.  I learn two things about living with flair:

1.  I can do and have too much.  Pour small amounts and let things settle before doing more.
2.  No matter what God pours into my life, I want it to effervesce--spill over and give off--enthusiasm and vivaciousness.

Let us effervesce today.  And if we can't or won't, maybe we need more good stuff poured in.

Living with flair means I effervesce.

______________________________
Journal:  When was the last time you erupted with enthusiasm for something?

6 comments:

Charity said...

That is the perfect verb for you, my effervescent friend! Love you!

A View From Serenity Acres said...

Oh...I love that word. It has such a wonderful ring to it! The English language is so rich with descriptive words, and most of us do not use enough of them!!! Thank you for always bringing to light some element of life that we might miss as we move along life's highway. I want to effervesce God's love just like that cream soda!

a joyful noise said...

Some of us are more laid back, as our nature is not to be the sparkling, bubbling person that some are in life. However in our walk with the Lord, there are times of effervescence that enrich and give one boldness to act in His name. All teachers should have this spark of flowing over as our cup runs over as we delight in Him.

Lisa said...

I love the word effervescent, although I can not remember using it lately at all.

...Lisa

PS At the risk of appearing ignorant, what is the finger trick?

LivewithFlair said...

Hello, Lisa! If you stick your finger in the glass, the fizz goes away (or at least slows down). I have no idea why.

Lisa said...

OK thanks!!