Saturday, June 18, 2011

Humbled by Mountains

When you drive into Colorado, you'll soon discern the faint outline of the Rocky Mountains.  It's another source of the sublime:  mountains so huge that you think you're looking into the clouds instead of the white peaks of a mountain range. 

First you feel small in the expanse of the Kansas praire.  Then you feel diminished by the height of the Colorado moutains.  Either horizon humbles you. 

We are so very tiny in this great universe.  And yet we know and are known by God.  It's a wonder that keeps me living with flair.  It's a sublime truth I don't want to forget for a single day of my life.

We finally set up our little apartment here in Colorado.  My husband will take classes, and I'll be writing and teaching others how to write with flair.   With these huge mountains offering a great hug every morning, I can hardly forget the presence and power available to me. 

______________
Journal:  Do you ever feel humbled by something in nature? 

5 comments:

Nancy said...

The first time I saw the Rockies, they looked like cartoon mountains. They didn't seem real. Soak up their beauty.

Anonymous said...

I just moved to Denver two weeks ago and I felt the same! Although California has the Sierra Nevada's they just don't compare...

Happy to know you'll be blogging in the same state as me as I've been reading your writing for some time now!

Sue Tell said...

Just received your book today. I am sooooooo excited!

I'm thinking you're in Ft Collins. Wish I could join your writing classes there! But alas, I have our grands for the next 10 days.

Are you coming to Colorado Springs?
Let me know. I'd love to meet you.

Live with Flair said...

Hello, Sarah and Sue Tell! How fun that we are all in Colorado! I love Denver and Colorado Springs! I don't think we'll be in either place this summer though :(

David Rupert said...

Okay...I live in Golden, work in Denver. Bloggers unite?