Saturday, September 3, 2011

Big Picture Moments

I'm fixing my hair because I'm headed to a funeral.

At a funeral, you're forced (finally) to "trust in the Lord and lean not on your own understanding."  I'm a girl who loves to know the narrative.  I love to know what's going on:  the why, the how, the when, the where.  I'm probably too controlling.  What happens when the narrative breaks apart and you have no idea what's going on

In reading, we love these moments of confusion; we're delighted to read on to make sense of an unraveling plot.  In life, though, we stagger and despair. 

A friend calls and reminds me that God knows the big picture.  It was a simple phrase--the Big Picture--but I know it's true.  He sees what I do not see.  

There's a bigger story, a larger picture, and these moments on the page--death, birth, joy, pain, confusion and every form of suffering and beauty--fold into it.

It's a marvelous story if I just read on a little further.  

_____________________
Journal:  When life unravels, what keeps me pushing ahead? 

1 comment:

joan said...

I keep pushing ahead because I know God's will for His calling on my life is not yet complete. Actually, it has just begun. There are so many lives to be transformed and souls to be saved for the Kingdom.