Monday, September 26, 2011

When You Must Improvise

When fruit flies start swarming in the kitchen, I know it's time to make peach cobbler.  So ripe they nearly burst in my hand, the peaches ooze and fragrance the whole counter top.  I peel and slice them, and then I toss in a few cups of fresh raspberries, garden ripe and falling off their stalks, just because.

The thing about cobbler is that you just kinda throw it all together.  Melt some butter; mix up some sugar, flour, and milk; slice up your fruit; sprinkle some cinnamon on top; bake for a bit--and there you go. 

I think about other woman in centuries past who made cobbler from their late summer harvest.  I feel connected to them when I pull out these old pioneer recipes.  They had to innovate, imagine, and improvise and thus:  cobbler.

Living with flair means you take what you have and build a beautiful cobbler.  Warm, sweet, and delicious--what a beautiful life!  Cobbler reminds me that the best often comes when we're forced to improvise.

_________________
Journal:  Do you have a great cobbler recipe you can share?

1 comment:

Kar said...

I use and love the recipe from the Betty Crocker Cookbook (my dad worked for general mills for nearly 40 years) for their fruit crisp. I have used peaches, strawberries and rhubarb, apples, and mixed berries all with the same crisp topping recipe. Yum!