Thursday, September 22, 2011

What Not to Ask Your College Professor

I'm sitting in office hours, and a student stops in to discuss his philosophy class.  We lean back in our chairs, pondering whether or not greed is inherent to our nature or acquired, and another student enters and offers her own opinion. Then she asks me whether or not a photograph of an object diminishes the beauty of that object since it's not real

An hour passes and the first student leaves in a rush because he's late for an economics class.  The other student remains and we meditate on the meaning of friendship, fame, and the world of dance.

Nobody asks me that one question I just can't stand:  "How do I get an A?"

Living with flair means loving to learn, loving to discuss, and loving to ask philosophical questions.  The grade will take care of itself.

_________________
Journal:  What will you discuss today?

1 comment:

Megan Willome said...

My answer? Never ask me that question again, then you'll have a chance at an A.