Saturday, September 10, 2011

Little Cupcake Grills!

My new neighbor calls me over to come see the birthday cupcakes she's made for her husband. 

I start laughing out loud when I see them.


She and her children have made little grills with kabobs, steaks, hotdogs, and even hamburgers with cheese on top--all made out of candy.  If you look closely, you'll even see the glowing embers of flames (red sprinkles!).  You'll even see the fine grill marks on the caramel cream steak. 


I love these cupcakes!  I'm adding them to my list of whimsical things that make life a little lighter.  Right beside my green apple and hamburger cupcakes, I'm listing one more:  On the Grill. 

Late last night, she invites our family over for this "Grill Out."  My children sneak across the street in pajamas, and we follow behind as lightening streaks the sky over the mountains.  We share cupcakes and ice-cream and celebrate a dad's birthday.

I remember--especially this 9/11 weekend--how thankful I am for this great nation and the simplicity of family, neighbors, and sharing cupcakes. I learned that horrible day that we can't take a single moment for granted. Something about eating whimsical cupcakes puts me in that state of thankfulness.  What a privilege to sit around a table with friends, eating cupcakes and sharing our lives!

Living with flair means you Grill Out with cupcakes.

________________
Journal:  What little thing are you thankful for this 9-11 weekend? 

No comments: