Sunday, September 4, 2011

When You Leave a Dream Alone

I apologize to the cauliflower plants that I've ignored them all summer.  They kept growing and growing, but I grew impatient.  I'd never once seen anything representing a cauliflower, and I gingerly pulled back the leaves all season.  Now, it just seems silly to check, especially since the whole garden is dried up and overgrown.

My husband reminds me that the peppers are just now turning red. 

I obviously have timing issues. 

I decide to give the cauliflower another chance.  Deep within the shaded leaves of the plant, a haven of cool, moist air surrounds something I've never seen growing before:  a real cauliflower in a garden and not a grocery aisle.  I show my daughter, and we wonder when (and how) in the world you pick a cauliflower.

I realize this:  sometimes when you leave something alone, it flourishes.  When you least expect it, and when you're just about to give up, you'll pull back those leaves and find your dream needed that quiet, uninterrupted place to germinate.

___________________
Journal:  Do you have a dream you need to leave alone for awhile?   


 




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this! Such an inspiring post. Thank you so much for sharing. I feel God tugging at my heart with this lesson, like it is something I need to here, learn, and put into practice... only I'm not sure what it applies to just yet. I guess only time will tell! :)

Leaha Shaikh said...

I think you are right on with this post! When we take our hands off it, then we can watch God's hand move! Thanks for the encouraging reminder!