Monday, September 12, 2011

What Our Elementary School Principal Calls Herself

Our elementary school principal manages extraordinary tasks like learning the first and last names of all 495 students in the school.

That's nearly 500 students.  Last September, I wrote about observing her in action in the hallway.

Last week at Back-to-School night, she introduces herself, not as the principal, but as the Lead Learner.  She signs all her correspondence this way as well.  

The Lead Learner!

For some reason, I want to cry right then and there.  No wonder she's been at this school for over 20 years and has the best reputation of any school principal I've ever known or heard of.  No wonder the students at this school love learning so much.  The leader of this school is a learner.  How could we not follow her with that attitude of curiosity, humility, and reverence for this sacred act of learning? 

I recall Parker Palmer's quote, "We teach what we most need to learn."  I want that truth to shape my teaching philosophy and the ways I interact with other instructors, my students, and the material I teach.

I'm not the teacher, I'm the Lead Learner.

I'll think about this tonight at Neighborhood Fitness Group.  The children will learn to jump in and out of the double dutch ropes, and I will too.   I'll try to get a picture of me in action (Lord, help me!). 

Living with flair means being the Lead Learner.  

____________________
Journal:  Did you have a teacher (or principal) that acted more like the Lead Learner?

2 comments:

Sue said...

I love your blog.

And? Even though I think I'm older, I want to be you when I grow up.

Thanks for being you and for sharing yourself with us through your blog.

I look forward to reading it at every opportunity!

A View From Serenity Acres said...

What a wonderful example both to her students and to the adults in her life. We all need to be lead learners. Jesus said that in order to be a leader...we needed to be servants to one another. She has a servant heart. Thanks for this great article!