Monday, November 28, 2011

3 Lessons from a Magnificent (But Terrifying) Spider

Today I meet a cross orbweaver spider.

Cross Orbweaver Spider
In the cooler weather, I know these spiders find warmth inside my house.  Spiders terrify me, but I want to give her a chance.  One can't destroy another just because of fear, just because of misunderstanding. 

Orbweaver Spider in the Woods

I learn that this spider rarely bites.  In fact, it's supremely difficult to provoke her.   Inside a home, she'll eat dust mites, fruit flies, and various pests.  Her webs help clean the house. 

I also learn that she eats her web every single night and builds a fresh one every single morning.  She keeps her web free of debris by starting over every single day.

I love that she starts fresh each morning, removing debris from the day before.  I love that she stays calm and unprovoked.  I love that she's helpful. 

I want to be more like her.  Welcome, little spider.

____________
Do you encounter unusual spiders in your home this time of year?

2 comments:

Roberta Beach said...

I'm not  fond of spiders, either, having been bitten by a recluse spider. However, this year, I allowed the spiders to spin their webs inside or out as long as they didn't interfere with day to day stuff. Mosquitoes carry heart-worm larvae which can infect my dogs. If spider webs can trap mosquitoes in the house, I thank them and think of each as "Charlotte." 
None of mine are an orbweaver - she would be welcome!
Facing fear helps us know which is irrational vs rational. 

Deb B said...

Beautiful pictures & message!