Saturday, November 5, 2011

A Crock-Pot Recipe that Reminds Me to Wait it Out

The whole house smells of seasoned broth from a crock-pot of vegetables, chicken, and spices.

A crock-pot represents that glorious Unseen Hand that takes all the bits and pieces you can hardly stand separately and simmers them together into something nourishing.

I glance at my old crock-pot and think about all my life's fragments and frayed ends that--by God's grace and timing--simmer down and build this perfect recipe that makes sense.

Normally, I have no patience for things that take all day.  But crock-pots not only make it a joy to wait, but there's this strange, cozy comfort in knowing that they sit there on the kitchen counter, working.  

In this crock-pot of the heart, you wait it out and know that, at just the right time, He'll have made something of it all.  There's a warmth and a fragrance in this beautiful waiting. 

Crock-Pot Chicken and Pasta Soup
1.  After breakfast, add frozen peas, carrots, and corn to a crock-pot.
2.  Add one chopped onion and one chopped red pepper.
3.  Add 3 frozen chicken breasts and season with salt, pepper, and anything you love. Add 3 cups of water.
4.  Cook on high half of the day.  Then, shred the chicken into bite-sized pieces.  Stir the pot and continue cooking all day.
5.  An hour before dinner, add your favorite kind of pasta and cook until tender.  Enjoy as a soup, or add less liquid for a hearty pasta dish. 

Enjoy!
_______________________
Don't you love that feeling of having dinner made by breakfast?

8 comments:

Gigi M. said...

Nothing like a Crock Pot meal!  I will try this recipe.

Roberta Beach said...

I loved crock pot meals. I like the analogy of God using the flotsam and jetsam of my life to be perfect blended in the end. Such assurance. 

Sonyachove said...

I will definitely be making this next week!! Love you!

Italian Mama said...

Crock pots rock, especially for busy Italian mamas!  Great recipe.  Add sprigs of rosemary for intoxicating aroma and flavor. 

Live with Flair said...

Oh!  Rosemary!  This sounds delicious!

Live with Flair said...

I actually put some dumplings right in the crock pot and had chicken and dumplin's!  I felt like a Southern Woman!

Live with Flair said...

 Flotsam and Jetsam of my life!  I just love that. 

Live with Flair said...

Let me know how it goes!  When are you blogging about Justin Bieber?