Thursday, November 10, 2011

Deep in the Heart of Man

This morning, the neighborhood children call me over to a huge, gaping hole in the earth.  Construction workers have dug down so deep, you can see sewage lines exposed.  With this rare vantage point, we peer into the secret inner workings of our town.  Even under the most beautiful lawns and gardens, excrement flows. 

It's not very pretty.

I think about sewage in the human heart as I remember the truth in Ecclesiastes 7:20:  "Indeed, there is no one on earth who is righteous, no one who does what is right and never sins." 

I can't escape the reality of sin today.  On this day, I cry on the bus with others who sit in complete silence as they think about innocent boys abused; as they think about authority figures they mistrust; as they think about a beloved coach who said he wished he'd done more; as they think about their own angered response in rioting.  

I go back and peer inside the hole with my daughter beside me.  This is the truth about our hearts.  This is why we so desperately need a Savior

__________________
Thank you for praying for our community today.

2 comments:

Patricia W Hunter said...

Excellent analogy,  Heather. Sadly so.  May the hearts of the wounded {may we all, yes?} be healed and comforted by our desperately needed Savior. 

Robin @ Pink Dryer Lint said...

Your words ring so true, Heather.  I, too, am mourning.