Saturday, November 12, 2011

Turning the Page at Penn State

I watch with my own eyes how two rival teams come together midfield, kneel, and pray for several minutes while fans watch on in tears.

"Is this normal?" I ask my husband since I don't know everything about football.

"No, this isn't normal," he says, as we watch grown, powerful men bow before God in prayer. 

For once, the media silences themselves before a holy moment. 

If critics have said Penn State is a microcosm for everything that's wrong with the world today, I suggest that Penn State moving forward is a microcosm for what hope and healing look like:  You come together; you get on your knees in humility, and you pray.

Something beautiful just happened in this little town.

__________________________ 

4 comments:

Adam McLane said...

Of course, if it were done for God it wouldn't have been done in public with the TV cameras all around. It was a PR move- plain and simple.

Live with Flair said...

Maybe so, but I still loved it :)  

Roberta Beach said...

Sounds like the team and Penn State are trying to be the needed change in their world. This reminds me of St. Francis - "preach the gospel at all times and when necessary use words." Redemption. 

Sue said...

I freely admit that I am a Nebraska fan. Having said that, if you know Coach Ron Brown and the Huskers, you know that the prayer before Saturday's game was not a publicity stunt. It was a sincere attempt to bring hope and healing, to reach out to one another with compassion, and to be a light to young boys everywhere.