Sunday, May 27, 2012

Our Sabbath Almond Kringle

Our is the word you should remember.  This isn't authentic Scandinavian pastry.  I'm not even Scandinavian (I don't think), but I did, as a little girl, have a Scandinavian neighbor who delivered Almond Kringle every Christmas.  For my wedding gift, this sweet neighbor sent me the ingredients, recipe, and tools needed to make her Almond Kringle.

And I lost her recipe.  And I lost track of her.

So our version isn't authentic.  But it's ours.  And it's absolutely delicious.

Late last night, I combine 1 cup flour, 1/2 cup softened butter, and 2 tablespoons water.  I take the mixture, and I make two long rectangles on my baking stone.  This is the "crust."




Then, I bring 1 cup water and 1/2 cup butter (I know, this recipe is all butter!) to a boil.  Pour this over 1 cup flour.  Combine with 1 tsp almond extract and 3 eggs.  Then, I smear this mixture over my crust.  Mine extended beyond the rectangles.  I didn't mind.


Bake this at 350 degrees for 50 minutes or until puffy and golden brown.


Frost with a mix of 1 cup powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon almond extract, and 2 tablespoons milk.


You'll have a light almond pastry for your Sabbath morning.

I ate a slice with a cup of delicious coffee.  That's living with flair!

_______________________________
Do you have a better Kringle recipe to share? 






2 comments:

Natasha said...

We make a similar pastry (although we don't call it Kringle)but our recipe has even more almond extract in it- there's almond extract in the crust, 1 Tbsp in the top layer, and of course in the icing. Also, we add slivered almonds on top for a bit of crunch.

It's a yummy treat, isn't it? :)

Roberta Beach said...

Looks and sounds delicious!