Thursday, August 9, 2012

You Have Authority

Today at an intersection, I see a central point around which tentacles of cars line up to wait their turn to go. So many "lane closed" and "detour here" signs dot the landscape, that nobody really has any idea what to do or where to drive.

Then I see him. A thin old man complete with a white beard and weathered face stands in the middle of it all. It's like the government called in the oldest and wisest to handle this mess.

The man waves his arms to one group, directing with pointed figures exactly where to turn. Then he holds another hand to stop a line of cars. Then he changes direction, challenging cars that try to sneak on. Oh no you don't!

He's so small in stature against the onslaught of cars, but so very large in authority. 

As he continues this full body workout of directing us, I notice that he doesn't seem self-conscience or worried in the slightest. It's because he knows he's been put there for such a time as this. He's been placed right in the middle of a complicated mess--with work to do--so he doesn't question himself.

So small. Such authority.

It doesn't match up. He's so powerless-looking and yet has ultimate power here. It makes me think about all the complicated places God sets me down to accomplish his work. The obstacles might be huge and threatening, but I don't have to think about them or myself at all.

I have delegated authority, so I don't worry. 

____________________________
Where do you need to remember that you have authority given to you by God?

No comments: