Tuesday, August 6, 2013

5 Great Promises from the First 5 Psalms

I love beginning a study of the Psalms every few months. In the margins of my green worn Bible, I have notes of what I thought about as I read the Psalms from all the way back in 1995.

That's 18 years of recording the faithful ways of God! I note the ways in which these promises are true and have always come about no matter what I was going through at the time.

I remember afresh the great truths of the first five Psalms:

1. Taking refuge in the Lord, we are like trees "planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever [we do] prospers." (Psalm 1: 3)

2. We are "blessed" as we "take refuge in him." (Psalm 2:12)

3. We have "a shield around [us]" and are both "answered" and "sustained." (Psalm 3:3-5)

4. We are "filled with greater joy than when their grain and new wine abound." (Psalm 4:7)

5. And finally, in a concluding prayer of the psalmist, I pray this like I have since 1995: "Let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy. Spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may rejoice in you. For surely, O Lord, you bless the righteous; you surround them with your favor as with a shield."

I watch the wingspan of the dragonfly beside me and thank God that He indeed spreads wide His protection over us today. That wide love hasn't changed. It will not change.

______________

Have you experienced the truth of these 5 promises?

No comments: