Sunday, August 4, 2013

"It doesn't have to be me." (Another reason to love Tenth Avenue North)

A few weeks ago, I attend a Tenth Avenue North concert with my daughters. Just a few days before, I had been researching the dangers of narcissism in leaders. Christian leadership, in many ways, can breed a kind of excessive self-focus and self-promotion.

When the lead singer of the band, Mike Donehey, speaks, he seems so humble and unconcerned with how he's coming off.

In fact, he tells the crowd he's changed. Donehey claims that in the early days of the band's success, he'd pray before concerts, "God, please use us. Please use us!"

"I don't pray that anymore," he says. "Now, I ask God to just move, and it doesn't have to be through us. It doesn't have to be me."

It doesn't have to be me. 

This feels like a deeper kind of freedom from self. (And it's another reason to love Tenth Avenue North.)

1 comment:

Raleigh Tillman said...

This is so profound. Really.