Friday, August 9, 2013

My Favorite Back-to-School Bible Promise

When I was younger, I memorized a powerful Bible verse in Deuteronomy. Right before Moses sends Joshua into new territory beyond the Jordan, he summons the new leader and encourages him with this promise:

"Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you or forsake you"(Deuteronomy 31:6).

Whenever it was time to move into new territory (middle school, high school, college, grad school, new careers, new neighborhoods), I always whispered this verse and remembered the great command to be strong and courageous because I have a God who is with me.

As my oldest begins middle school, she's excited but also fearful. With this verse in her mind--and so many others that point to God's faithful care--I pray she remembers this:

When fears abound, I know God is with me. I am strong and courageous because God will never leave me or forsake me. 

_________________________
With so many imagined fears, I love to remember this promise to Joshua.

1 comment:

Roberta Rae said...

I'm reading back through some posts. I just accepted a new position in my hospital. There will be challenges now and later. I'll remember this verse. Thank you.